Playing the Part

by Haider on September 11, 2009 · 9 comments

in Psychological

Last Saturday I had a minor procedure (the details of which I wouldn’t like to get into, cos they ain’t pretty!).

Looking back at the whole experience, one thing stood out as being highly amusing.

When I was told I needed to have the procedure three days before it, a very strange thing happened.

I started to act ill!

My intention wasn’t to deceive anybody. I just played the part of being ill, because I was convinced there was something wrong with me, even though I didn’t feel ill.

I started to walk slowly, speak slowly, my energy level went down and I began slouching. And, yes, I partly felt sorry for myself.

But when I realized I didn’t have to feel that way, my mood suddenly changed. I felt more energetic and felt that I can do a lot more than feel sorry for myself.

Tony Robbins writes a lot about our “emotional states” and how we can change them by simply changing our posture and the way we behave. Rather than slouch because we’re tired, we can feel tired because we slouch!

We have an enormous capacity to feel great, and huge energy reserves we don’t tap into because we’re too busy playing a part that doesn’t take these resources into consideration.

This explains why terminally ill patients can enjoy their last breaths, without feeling bad about their condition. They’re not playing the part of the patient.

We can play the part of the victim, the overworked professional, the patient, the social outcast, the bad parent and any of a long list of possible negative roles.

Or we can play a more positive role that helps us enjoy our days and make the most out of the resources we have available to us.

What role are you playing in your life, and how can you change that to enjoy what life has to offer you?

Post to Twitter Tweet This Post

Did you enjoy the post? If you'd like to get new posts fresh out the oven and learn more about holistic growth, you can subscribe to this blog by RSS or Email. You can also connect with me on Twitter. Don't forget to say hi. :)

{ 9 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Malcolm September 19, 2009 at 3:15 am

I love this. This is such a great example of unconscious mind over matter, and then conscious mind over unconscious mind.

I’ve noticed a very similar thing: One time I was really upset about something I’d done, and it was really stressing me out. I felt tired and angsty and just generally not at ease. Some time later, after I had done something else for awhile and distracted myself, I caught myself whistling cheerily. Much to my amusement, my initial reaction was along the lines of “wait! you’re supposed to be sad!”. I came super close to throwing myself back down into a pit of despair, but at the last second I realized how foolish that was and so I kept whistling and was no longer bothered by the past.

This was when I REALLY realized that you can choose your own mood.

Malcolm

PS: on the note of body affecting mood, I’ve heard that just saying “eee” out loud will convince your body that you’re smiling and so you will cheer up.
Malcolm´s last blog ..Living in Future’s Past My ComLuv Profile

2 Haider September 19, 2009 at 6:26 am

“Unconscious mind over matter, and then conscious mind over unconscious mind.”

That’s a genius way of putting it. Thanks!

It’s how we’re “supposed” to behave and feel that can screw up how we respond to our circumstances.

3 Malcolm September 20, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Exactly – and perception is everything.
Malcolm´s last blog ..Living in Future’s Past My ComLuv Profile

4 Ho'oponopono Clearing - Claus D Jensen October 4, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Hi, To change habbits of thoughts and action you often have to reprogram your subconscious mind. 96-98% of all we do and think is habitual. So we better create some good habits!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Greetings,
Claus D Jensen

5 Haider October 5, 2009 at 3:08 am

Dear Claus,

I agree that our subconscious plays the primary role in the way we think and behave, but conscious thought is needed to reprogram the subconscious mind.

Thank you for highlighting this point! :D

6 Abdulwahab Alhajji October 29, 2009 at 2:33 pm

hiiiii haider , so you have a blog!
and a very nice blog too hehe :D

i totally agree , the way a person acts can really affect their life

great writing , thanks alot :D

7 Haider October 30, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Hi Abdulwahab!

Nice to see you around here!

Thank you for your comment, and hope to see you soon!

8 B.Oz December 8, 2009 at 7:01 am

Same things when people come to see the dentist..
They don’t freak out till you tell them they have a carious tooth..
Then they start telling how sensitive it’s and how much it’s bugging them..

9 Haider December 8, 2009 at 12:18 pm

B.Oz, you just *had* to remind me about my teeth, didn’t you? :P

Actually, my wife once read all the possible side-effects of some medication she was taking and ended up experiencing all the symptoms. When she went to see the doctor he simply asked: “You read about the side-effects, didn’t you?”

And she was miraculously cured. :D

p.s. Loved your blog (but gonna have to disagree with you about the bangs ;) )